[Quotes] quotes: BHOOTY

Babaette7 at aol.com Babaette7 at aol.com
Fri Dec 5 11:00:25 EST 2003

                          BHOOTY

                      Mehera J. Irani

Baba had heard of a mast living in the foothills
of the Himalayas and He wanted to contact him.
I can't recall the exact region of the Himalayas,
but Baba and five of the men mandali set out to
contact this mast. It was an arduous journey as
Baba and the men mandali had to hike for many
miles in the hot sun and through rocky and
steep hills along narrow paths.

We girls, of course, did not accompany Baba on
these mast trips, but often when Baba returned,
He would share stories of their adventures.

On this journey as they were walking through
one of the valleys that connect the foothills of
the Himalayas, Baba noticed a scattering of
goats and sheep grazing in the distance and a
darting black mountain puppy. The puppy was
immediately drawn to Baba and came
scampering over.

Baba stopped for a minute to pet her and then
turned toward the steep hill that He and the
mandali were about to climb. The puppy
continued to follow Baba. She would playfully
frisk and jump at Baba's feet.

As they climbed higher and higher up the ridge
of the mountain, the pup, undaunted, tagged
along from behind. Now the path was getting
dangerous, being barely wide enough for one or
two people. On one side was a sheer drop and
on the other side the wall of the mountain.

Suddenly, they heard a whimpering sound
behind them. To their dismay, they saw that the
puppy had slipped off the edge and was dangling
from a rock below. The puppy was just managing
to hold on to the ledge with its two front paws!
Baba rushed to the puppy and lifted her to safety.
He gestured to the mandali, "This puppy is really
brave and strong to have held on to the rock until
I could save her. I like her very much."

Baba and the men continued on, this time with
one of the mandali carrying the puppy. When
they reached the mast Baba met with him alone,
while the mandali stood at a distance with their
backs to Baba. As soon as Baba's work was
completed to His satisfaction, they began the
journey home. When they crossed that same
valley where Baba had first seen the puppy, He
had one of the men mandali enquire if the owner
would part with the dog. The man agreed, and
so Baba brought the puppy all the way back to
Ahmednagar.

We girls were staying at Rusipop's house in
Ahmednagar. The house at Meherazad was
under construction. It was 1948, a year prior to
the New Life, and Norina and Elizabeth were
staying with us.

The mandali were a short distance away in a
house called the Ice Factory. Baba could easily
walk between the two residences. Kaka Baria
was doing the cooking for the mandali and for
Norina and Elizabeth who had to have special
food.

During this period, Dr. Donkin had finished the
printing of _The Wayfarers_. He had discovered
that several maps showing the places where
Baba had contacted the masts had spelling
errors. Our task was to meticulously erase the
incorrect letters and with black ink carefully write
in the correct letters. It was painstaking work
requiring our full concentration. So our time
passed in correcting maps of the whereabouts
of the masts, while Baba contacted the masts!

When Baba returned from His mast trip, He told
us the story of the puppy's narrow escape from
death, and how He had rescued her. Baba's
gestures were so perfect in their expression that
we all listened spellbound. In silence, how
eloquently Baba spoke. He made the story
come alive.

When we saw the puppy we fell in love with her.
She was fluffy and plump and really lovely to
look at. Baba told us He had brought the puppy
for Kaka as she would make a good watchdog,
being a pure Tibetan Mastiff. These dogs are
known for their fearlessness and are very strong.

Baba named the puppy Gol-Gol (round-round)
because she was just that. Kaka called her Gul
(flower), and we girls called her Bhooty because
she looked like she was wearing booties or
slippers. Her paws were white, then to her
ankles she was brown, and the rest of her was
black. Above each eye was a yellow spot giving
her the appearance of having four eyes! And, I'm
not exaggerating, her coat was so thick that you
couldn't part it.

When the construction of the big bungalow at
Meherazad was finished, Baba brought us here
to stay. Baba, knowing Bhooty's nature,
hot-tempered and distrustful of strangers, wanted
to make sure that we girls would be safe if
Bhooty ever happened to be free. You see,
Bhooty wouldn't let anyone except Baba and
Kaka come near her. She would snap and growl
and so was always kept on a short leash.

Baba wanted Bhooty to know that we girls
belonged to the house. Baba one day told us all
to stand on the verandah of the house, as He
was going to bring Bhooty over to meet us. We
were to speak to her in our own voices so that
she could get used to us. Baba brought Bhooty
over on a short leash. Bhooty walked like a
Parisian lady wearing high heels -- each step
measured daintily, not like an ordinary dog. She
was a purebred and wanted us to know it.

We followed Baba and Bhooty into the house
and out to the kitchen verandah. We'd say
"Bhooty... Bhooty..." trying to make friends with
her. But Bhooty looked at us coldly. Baba told
us to bring a plate with an egg on it for Bhooty.
Then Baba told me to give Bhooty the egg. She
slowly and deliberately walked over to the plate.
Even with the egg just waiting for her to eat it,
she remained dignified and ladylike. She didn't
rush and lap it up like some hungry and greedy
dog. Oh, no, she ate her egg slowly and
delicately. And when she had finished, she
looked up and said with those yellow eyes, "Yes,
I like eggs. It was good of you to give me an egg.
Thank you."

After a few days, Bhooty did become warmer
toward us, but her proud independent nature did
not allow much more than that. She never played
with us, she just showed a friendly tolerance.

In 1949, Baba announced His plans for the New
Life. Mani, Meheru, Goher, and I were to
accompany Baba. Kaka was also going to
accompany Baba, so someone was found to
stay with Bhooty. Later on, after the New Life
was completed and Baba was going out on tour,
He had Kaka remain at Meherazad to watch
over the property. Bhooty was Kaka's only
companion.

When Baba finally returned to Meherazad, Kaka
told Baba how glad he was to have had Bhooty
here with him.

Kaka felt safe at night only because of Bhooty's
presence. I should mention here that Meherazad
was not as you know it now -- it was quite a wild
area. There were wolves and hyenas living in the
surrounding hills and at night they would come
out prowling for prey. Once Bhooty chased a
jackal up a tree and kept watch over it until
morning! Bhooty was such a good watchdog that
she would keep alert throughout the night,
surveying each corner of the property, listening
for stray sounds, and watching out for intruders.
She would continue her rounds till daybreak, so
with Bhooty as Kaka's companion and guard,
Kaka didn't feel afraid.

When Bhooty had puppies we were with Baba in
Poona. Baba sent word to Kaka that he wanted
to see the puppy that looked most like its
mother. Adi Senior arranged to drive Kaka -- with
the prized puppy held on Kaka's lap -- to Poona
in his car. That puppy was Mastan, Baba's most
beloved pet. But before I tell you that story, let
me share with you one last incident about
Bhooty, Mastan's mother.

We already had Peter, Mani's pet dog, with us,
and after Mastan was born, Peter and Mastan
would love to play together in the Meherazad
garden. One day Bhooty started to play with her
pup Mastan and Peter became very jealous.

He growled at Bhooty: "Why are you playing
with my friend?"

Peter couldn't understand it. He would see
Bhooty run and jump with Mastan, pushing him
over and playfully holding on to Mastan's neck,
teaching him how to catch prey.

Peter would growl at Bhooty, saying to her
"Don't do that!" And it was so funny because if
Bhooty had wanted to, she could have eaten
Peter in one bite! Bhooty would patiently look at
Peter and with disdain in those yellow eyes say,
"But Mastan is my puppy. Don't you know
better? I'm his mother!"

Eventually Bhooty and Peter became good
friends, but Bhooty always maintained her
dignity, even while playing with the other dogs.
Her proud air -- part of her cool Himalayan nature
-- always set her apart.

When Bhooty died, Baba was in seclusion. No
outsiders were allowed to see Him and the
mandali had strict instructions that He must not
be disturbed.

Kaka loved Bhooty very much, but his obedience
to Baba was unquestioning. Not wanting to
disturb Baba with the news of the occurrence,
Kaka quietly began preparations for Bhooty's
burial.

When I heard that Bhooty had died, I felt Baba
would want to know. I waited until Baba had
come to our side and then I personally told Him.

For a few moments Baba was silent as He took
in the news. Then He gestured to me, "Bhooty
loved Me and served Me faithfully. In her next
life she will take human form. Now I must go
there." Immediately word was sent to the
mandali that Baba was coming over.

Baba stood before Bhooty's grave and with His
own hands showered flowers over her before the
first earth covered her. What a fortunate end to a
fortunate life!

BABA LOVED US TOO, pp. 85-93
Copyright 1989 Avatar Meher Baba Perpetual
Public Charitable Trust